For over 50 years Hindy’s Home Hardware Building Centre in Winterton has served a multitude of people and worked tenaciously to meet the needs of every customer that came through our doors. You will find our service one that has a warm and friendly atmosphere with well-stocked shelves that has made us one of the most trusted names in the hardware industry.
Ray Hindy opened the store in 1958 that mainly carried dry goods and groceries. In the mid 1960’s the Department of Highways needed about half the land the store was built on to construct a new road in the town. Ray and his wife Monica sold the land, tore down the original store and built a new one just meters away.
The construction of the new spacious store provided the opportunity for the Hindy’s to expand our business ideas and stock to include building supplies, plumbing, along with dry goods and groceries.
Over the next 30 years Hindy’s continued to flourish under Ray and Monica’s entrepreneurial leadership. The couple along with their staff, built a reputation for reliability and outstanding customer service.
In 1991 Ray and Monica handed the keys of the operation over to sons Paul, Lloyd and Charlie who were more than up for the challenge. Charlie has since moved to St Johns and away from the family business. With business growing, the brothers felt it was time to expand their vision as well as the actual store space. A new spacious store, the current Hindy’s Home Hardware Building Centre was constructed.